NSLU2 as printer, scanner and file server

  • Ruud Senden
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2005
      Hi all,

      I've installed OpenSlug on my NSLU2, with the root filesystem on a
      1GB memory stick connected to the Disk1 port. On the Disk2 port I've
      got a powered USB 2.0 hub (Sweex), connected to that are a HP
      DeskJet 5550, Trust Direct webscan 19200, and a Maxtor DiamondMax in
      a Digiconnect USB casing. I'm using the NSLU2 as a file, print and
      scanner server from various Windows PC's.

      This all basically works, using samba, cups and saned (together with
      SaneTwain). It is not very stable however. Sometimes the printer
      only prints half a page and then just stops waiting for more input,
      sometimes the scanner scans only half of a page, or starts making
      weird noises by going back and forward very quickly on its own
      (without a scan request), and the harddisk cannot be accessed.

      So far, I've only seen this behavior when the printer is connected
      to the hub. Also, dmesg shows a large list of
      errors 'drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: error -32 reading printer
      status'. Note that I'm not trying to use multiple devices at the
      same time.

      Anybody any idea what's wrong here? I've got the feeling that the
      usblp module gets messed up and tries to access the scanner and
      hardisk instead of the printer.

      Kind regards,
      Ruud Senden.