Video from a Slug?

  • beww307
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2005
      Has anyone had any luck creating video from a slug? I guess it would have to be a USB device.
      I have been able to run X-based programs using a VNC server (even firefox, with some font
      issues), but I'd like to try making video directly if it's possible.

      Obviously if I can get usable video with VNC then the CPU can deal with the matter.

      I've looked around for USB-to-Video hardware but haven't found much, and I've seen no
      references to using such with a slug.

      Any ideas?
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2005
        On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 15:47 +0000, beww307 wrote:

        > I've looked around for USB-to-Video hardware but haven't found much, and I've seen no
        > references to using such with a slug.

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddVGAAdapter

        Marceln
      • Brian Wood
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2005
          Thanks. I had seen that page but I've so far not found anybody selling such devices in North America.

          Guess I will keep looking.

          On Dec 4, 2005, at 9:39 AM, Marcel Nijenhof wrote:

          On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 15:47 +0000, beww307 wrote:

          > I've looked around for USB-to-Video hardware but haven't found much, and I've seen no
          > references to using such with a slug.

          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddVGAAdapter

          Marceln
        • zhyla
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2005
            Looks like these are hard to come by. I did a search on ebay for
            "svga usb adapter" and found a couple products, you might take a look.
            Maybe one of them has the right chipset.

            Zhyla

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wood <beww@b...> wrote:

            > Thanks. I had seen that page but I've so far not found anybody
            > selling such devices in North America.
            >
            > Guess I will keep looking.
            >

            > On Dec 4, 2005, at 9:39 AM, Marcel Nijenhof wrote:
            >
            > > On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 15:47 +0000, beww307 wrote:
            > >

            > > > I've looked around for USB-to-Video hardware but haven't found
            > > much, and I've seen no
            > > > references to using such with a slug.
            > > >

            > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddVGAAdapter
            > >
            > > Marceln

          • jkpeters_37
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
              Check out my previous post concerning the $30 Linksys WMA11B as a
              possible way to provide video out to a slug.

              jkp

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "beww307" <beww@b...> wrote:

              > Has anyone had any luck creating video from a slug? I guess it
              would have to be a USB device.
              > I have been able to run X-based programs using a VNC server (even
              firefox, with some font
              > issues), but I'd like to try making video directly if it's
              possible.

              > Obviously if I can get usable video with VNC then the CPU can deal
              with the matter.

              > I've looked around for USB-to-Video hardware but haven't found
              much, and I've seen no
              > references to using such with a slug.
              >
              > Any ideas?

            • Brian Wood
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
                I'd looked at this previously. The 11Mb wireless would be somewhat
                limiting for video, leaving the 10/100 port as the only viable
                possibility.

                This makes it somewhat similar to the Hauppauge MVP, which seems to
                have an open-source following. I've seen references to using the MVP
                to play back video streamed from a slug.

                Not a real video console solution though, and the WMA11B might be a
                better solution for non-MPEG video. I will certainly watch what
                happens with the device with keen interest.

                I can already make video by using an external networked device
                however, by using VNC. I'd really like a simple USB-to-VGA adapter
                and I'll continue to keep an eye out for one.

                I took delivery of a new 32" LCD TV today. It has a USB "input" that
                the manual says absolutely nothing about. I suspect it might be
                simply for control, but it is located with the other video inputs ????

                Much thanks for thinking of me and my wants.