Re: USB enclosre that supports APM enabled drive for spindown

  • jhaveri
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "zhyla" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

      > Bharat, if you keep this up I'm going to have to get off my butt and
      > do this to my drive :)
      >
      > It doesn't look like hdparm has a documented way of querying the -S
      > value. But what you want to do is put it back in the enclosure, power
      > it up and see if after ten minutes the drive stops spinning. It
      > should spin up automatically when there is disk activity and then when
      > there is none it should spin back down when it is idle.
      >
      > hdparm absolutely, positively, 100% will not work on a USB drive, so
      > it's pretty useless to package it for either distribution.
      >
      > Zhyla

      Zhyla:

      I did this one more time. Put the drive back in PC linux box.

      At bash prompt, did "hdparm -K1 -S240 /dev/hdb"

      Shur down PC. Put drive back in USB enclosure.

      After some inactivity the drive goes back in low RPM idle (you can hear
      some clicks when that happens) but no complete stop. I waited the whole
      night (not quite, I did sleep). In the morning it was still spinning
      but very low rpm.

      Looks like hitachi has changed somethin in their 400GB and up drives.
      This is what I found from Silentpc review of Hitachi 400 GB review
      (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article256-page2.html)

      "The high noise and power draw meant I was looking forward to seeing
      how effective the Low RPM mode would be on this drive. So, I duly
      enabled it in the APM section of Hitachi's feature tool, and waited.
      And waited. And, no matter how long I waited, I never heard the heads
      park or the disk spin down. For whatever reason, the drive never
      entered Low RPM mode even after sitting idle for two or more hours —
      far longer than it took for the 7K250 to enter this mode.

      So finally I am giving up.

      Thanks again for all your help. You have been very kind.

      Bharat