Re: [nslu2-linux] unpredictable drive order for devices on hub

  • Kolbjørn Barmen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
      On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have been using opendebianslug for a couple months now. I have my
      > root drive on the first usb port, and two other drives on a hub
      > connected to the second. I rebooted for the first time since I've
      > connected everything today, and the drives on the hub switched (sdb
      > traded places with sdc). I rebooted a second time to test things, and
      > they switched back. Rebooted once more and the drives stayed put.
      >
      > So now I wonder if this behavior is normal, was it just a fluke that
      > they switched places once or is it to be expected? Would adding
      > another drive make things even more erratic? I am thinking of just
      > writing a little startup script to mount each device in turn to a
      > temporary point, check for an identifying file, then remount the
      > volume where it belongs but if theres a more normal way to deal with
      > this I'd like to know.

      ext2/ext3 supports labels - your scenario is what labels are for :)

      --
      Kolbjørn Barmen
    • Gerald L. Clark
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
        Aaron Wolfe wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have been using opendebianslug for a couple months now. I have my
        > root drive on the first usb port, and two other drives on a hub
        > connected to the second. I rebooted for the first time since I've
        > connected everything today, and the drives on the hub switched (sdb
        > traded places with sdc). I rebooted a second time to test things, and
        > they switched back. Rebooted once more and the drives stayed put.
        >
        > So now I wonder if this behavior is normal, was it just a fluke that
        > they switched places once or is it to be expected? Would adding
        > another drive make things even more erratic? I am thinking of just
        > writing a little startup script to mount each device in turn to a
        > temporary point, check for an identifying file, then remount the
        > volume where it belongs but if theres a more normal way to deal with
        > this I'd like to know.
        >
        > thanks
        > -Aaron

        Can you mount by label instead of device?
      • Aaron Wolfe
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
          Yes, labels are perfect.  Thanks for the clue!
          -Aaron

          On 12/2/05, Kolbjørn Barmen <nslu2-linux@...> wrote:
          On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have been using opendebianslug for a couple months now.  I have my
          > root drive on the first usb port, and two other drives on a hub
          > connected to the second.  I rebooted for the first time since I've
          > connected everything today, and the drives on the hub switched (sdb
          > traded places with sdc).  I rebooted a second time to test things, and
          > they switched back.  Rebooted once more and the drives stayed put.
          >
          > So now I wonder if this behavior is normal, was it just a fluke that
          > they switched places once or is it to be expected?  Would adding
          > another drive make things even more erratic?  I am thinking of just
          > writing a little startup script to mount each device in turn to a
          > temporary point, check for an identifying file, then remount the
          > volume where it belongs but if theres a more normal way to deal with
          > this I'd like to know.

          ext2/ext3 supports labels - your scenario is what labels are for :)

          --
          Kolbjørn Barmen

          Communication and networking Wireless communication and networking Linksys nslu2

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS