unpredictable drive order for devices on hub

  • Aaron Wolfe
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005

      I have been using opendebianslug for a couple months now. I have my
      root drive on the first usb port, and two other drives on a hub
      connected to the second. I rebooted for the first time since I've
      connected everything today, and the drives on the hub switched (sdb
      traded places with sdc). I rebooted a second time to test things, and
      they switched back. Rebooted once more and the drives stayed put.

      So now I wonder if this behavior is normal, was it just a fluke that
      they switched places once or is it to be expected? Would adding
      another drive make things even more erratic? I am thinking of just
      writing a little startup script to mount each device in turn to a
      temporary point, check for an identifying file, then remount the
      volume where it belongs but if theres a more normal way to deal with
      this I'd like to know.

      thanks
      -Aaron
    • Kolbjørn Barmen
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have been using opendebianslug for a couple months now. I have my
        > root drive on the first usb port, and two other drives on a hub
        > connected to the second. I rebooted for the first time since I've
        > connected everything today, and the drives on the hub switched (sdb
        > traded places with sdc). I rebooted a second time to test things, and
        > they switched back. Rebooted once more and the drives stayed put.
        >
        > So now I wonder if this behavior is normal, was it just a fluke that
        > they switched places once or is it to be expected? Would adding
        > another drive make things even more erratic? I am thinking of just
        > writing a little startup script to mount each device in turn to a
        > temporary point, check for an identifying file, then remount the
        > volume where it belongs but if theres a more normal way to deal with
        > this I'd like to know.

        ext2/ext3 supports labels - your scenario is what labels are for :)

        --
        Kolbjørn Barmen
      • Gerald L. Clark
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
          Aaron Wolfe wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I have been using opendebianslug for a couple months now. I have my
          > root drive on the first usb port, and two other drives on a hub
          > connected to the second. I rebooted for the first time since I've
          > connected everything today, and the drives on the hub switched (sdb
          > traded places with sdc). I rebooted a second time to test things, and
          > they switched back. Rebooted once more and the drives stayed put.
          >
          > So now I wonder if this behavior is normal, was it just a fluke that
          > they switched places once or is it to be expected? Would adding
          > another drive make things even more erratic? I am thinking of just
          > writing a little startup script to mount each device in turn to a
          > temporary point, check for an identifying file, then remount the
          > volume where it belongs but if theres a more normal way to deal with
          > this I'd like to know.
          >
          > thanks
          > -Aaron

          Can you mount by label instead of device?
        • Aaron Wolfe
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
            Yes, labels are perfect.  Thanks for the clue!
            -Aaron

            On 12/2/05, Kolbjørn Barmen <nslu2-linux@...> wrote:
            On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I have been using opendebianslug for a couple months now.  I have my
            > root drive on the first usb port, and two other drives on a hub
            > connected to the second.  I rebooted for the first time since I've
            > connected everything today, and the drives on the hub switched (sdb
            > traded places with sdc).  I rebooted a second time to test things, and
            > they switched back.  Rebooted once more and the drives stayed put.
            >
            > So now I wonder if this behavior is normal, was it just a fluke that
            > they switched places once or is it to be expected?  Would adding
            > another drive make things even more erratic?  I am thinking of just
            > writing a little startup script to mount each device in turn to a
            > temporary point, check for an identifying file, then remount the
            > volume where it belongs but if theres a more normal way to deal with
            > this I'd like to know.

            ext2/ext3 supports labels - your scenario is what labels are for :)

            --
            Kolbjørn Barmen

            Communication and networking Wireless communication and networking Linksys nslu2

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS