Re: newbie post - ipkg hangs

  • Jeffrey K. Burns
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2005
      One of the ipkg servers is offline:
      ipkg-us-openhelp.nslu2-linux.org... 72.21.37.42

      If you don't land on that server, then your packages download,
      otherwise it appears to hang, actually it'll time out eventually.
      I've been using ipkg install -verbose_wget in order to get some better
      diags.

      My crude workaround attempt to fool the servers by changing the ip
      address for the above server to a working ipkg server in the hosts
      file didn't work. Not sure what else to do. On large packages with
      many dependencies, it makes it a bit more difficult.

      Anyone have a workaround for a dead ipkg feed?

      cheers
      Jeff

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "pbernosky" <philip@b...> wrote:

      > I'm (trying) to install apache into an unslung 5.5
      >
      > I've "ipkg unslung-feeds" succesfully, did the "ipkg update"
      > succesfully.
      >
      > It at first seems to succeed - downloads apache just fine, then it
      > goes to download apr-util and just hangs - never to return unless I
      > hit ^C
      >
      > I've installed other packages successfully - not sure what's going on
      > here.
      >
      > Can anyone help?
      >
      > pber

    • brunobinet
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
        I have the same problem, and i don't know how to do to make it work.
        We may wait until that server is up...

        Bruno

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey K. Burns"
        <admiraljkb@e...> wrote:

        > One of the ipkg servers is offline:
        > ipkg-us-openhelp.nslu2-linux.org... 72.21.37.42
        >
        > If you don't land on that server, then your packages download,
        > otherwise it appears to hang, actually it'll time out eventually.
        > I've been using ipkg install -verbose_wget in order to get some better
        > diags.
        >
        > My crude workaround attempt to fool the servers by changing the ip
        > address for the above server to a working ipkg server in the hosts
        > file didn't work. Not sure what else to do. On large packages with
        > many dependencies, it makes it a bit more difficult.
        >
        > Anyone have a workaround for a dead ipkg feed?
        >
        > cheers
        > Jeff
        >

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "pbernosky" <philip@b...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm (trying) to install apache into an unslung 5.5
        > >
        > > I've "ipkg unslung-feeds" succesfully, did the "ipkg update"
        > > succesfully.
        > >
        > > It at first seems to succeed - downloads apache just fine, then it
        > > goes to download apr-util and just hangs - never to return unless I
        > > hit ^C
        > >
        > > I've installed other packages successfully - not sure what's going on
        > > here.
        > >
        > > Can anyone help?
        > >
        > > pber

      • mrkzander
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
          I've been having the same problem as of yesterday but with openslug's
          ipkg failing on transfering files.
          I think there must be something wrong with the feed, or it could just
          be overloaded.

          zander.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "pbernosky" <philip@b...> wrote:

          > I'm (trying) to install apache into an unslung 5.5
          >
          > I've "ipkg unslung-feeds" succesfully, did the "ipkg update"
          > succesfully.
          >
          > It at first seems to succeed - downloads apache just fine, then it
          > goes to download apr-util and just hangs - never to return unless I
          > hit ^C
          >
          > I've installed other packages successfully - not sure what's going on
          > here.
          >
          > Can anyone help?
          >
          > pber

        • mrkzander
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
            Changing the server name in the 'cross-feed.conf' and 'native-
            feed.conf' files from '/etc/ipkg' worked for me.
            Do a 'ipkg update' then edit the files and then change the server
            name to a feed server that is up (ie. ipkg-us-dyoung.nslu2-linux.org)

            zander.

            <admiraljkb@e...> wrote:

            > One of the ipkg servers is offline:
            > ipkg-us-openhelp.nslu2-linux.org... 72.21.37.42
            >
            > If you don't land on that server, then your packages download,
            > otherwise it appears to hang, actually it'll time out eventually.
            > I've been using ipkg install -verbose_wget in order to get some
            better
            > diags.
            >
            > My crude workaround attempt to fool the servers by changing the ip
            > address for the above server to a working ipkg server in the hosts
            > file didn't work. Not sure what else to do. On large packages
            with
            > many dependencies, it makes it a bit more difficult.
            >
            > Anyone have a workaround for a dead ipkg feed?
            >
            > cheers
            > Jeff
            >

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "pbernosky" <philip@b...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm (trying) to install apache into an unslung 5.5
            > >
            > > I've "ipkg unslung-feeds" succesfully, did the "ipkg update"
            > > succesfully.
            > >
            > > It at first seems to succeed - downloads apache just fine, then
            it
            > > goes to download apr-util and just hangs - never to return unless
            > > hit ^C
            > >
            > > I've installed other packages successfully - not sure what's
            going on
            > > here.
            > >
            > > Can anyone help?
            > >
            > > pber

          • CompBrain
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
              Hey There,
              Im resposible for the openhelp server:
              It seems that the hosting company is having network hardware issues, and I will poke them again to get it resolved ASAP.
              Thanks,
              ~Will

              <admiraljkb@e...> wrote:

              > One of the ipkg servers is offline:
              > ipkg-us-openhelp.nslu2-linux.org... 72.21.37.42
              >
              > If you don't land on that server, then your packages download,
              > otherwise it appears to hang, actually it'll time out eventually.
              > I've been using ipkg install -verbose_wget in order to get some better
              > diags.
              >
              > My crude workaround attempt to fool the servers by changing the ip
              > address for the above server to a working ipkg server in the hosts
              > file didn't work.  Not sure what else to do.   On large packages with
              > many dependencies, it makes it a bit more difficult.
              >
              > Anyone have a workaround for a dead ipkg feed?
              >
              > cheers
              > Jeff
              >

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "pbernosky" <philip@b...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm (trying) to install apache into an unslung 5.5
              > >
              > > I've "ipkg unslung-feeds" succesfully, did the "ipkg update"
              > > succesfully.
              > >
              > > It at first seems to succeed - downloads apache just fine, then it
              > > goes to download apr-util and just hangs - never to return unless I
              > > hit ^C
              > >
              > > I've installed other packages successfully - not sure what's going on
              > > here.
              > >
              > > Can anyone help?
              > >
              > > pber

              Communication and networking Wireless communication and networking Linksys nslu2

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS