Can I damage the USB chip from software

  • irfan29200
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
      while fooling around with "mtd" command, I suddenly lost connection
      to the USB disk1 (an 80GB HDD). Since then I have repaired and
      replaced the firmware kernel and ramdisk leaving the redboot and
      config area untouched. I have tried power cycling both the NSLU2 and
      HDD and powering in different orders but the disk is not recognized.

      Is it possible that i could have damaged the USB driver or USB chip
      during this process. Since I have flashed a new kernel and ramdisk,
      it could not be a driver problem unless there are some important info
      in "config area mtd1" that has got disturbed.

      Is there some EEPROM configuration in USB chip or somewhere else on
      the NSLU2 that might have gone bad.

      Do I need to rewrite my MTD1 = config.
    • Paul Bartholomew
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "irfan29200" <irfan@i...> wrote:
        > Is it possible that i could have damaged the USB driver or USB
        chip
        > during this process.

        (I also sent you an email response)

        I think it *could* be a corrupt partition table on the USB HDD -
        something that 'confuses' linux into believing the table is 'valid',
        and it uses the #'s it finds in there (for partition start/size) to
        tell it where to find the partitions. If those values are 'bogus',
        it will try to read from invalid sectors.

        I had a similar problem with a USB Flash drive. It was formatted on
        Windows *without* a partition table (so it had a 'DOS boot sector'
        as the first sector instead of the 'MBR'). This confused my NSLU2.
        I had to wipe the partition table (I think I did it using Windows
        and the 'winhex' app, but you should be able to do it from the NSLU2
        using "fdisk" or maybe a "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512
        count=1").

        After wiping the table, turn the NSLU2 OFF/ON, ignore any messages
        about the USB drive, and go to the web administration page to see if
        you can format the drive.

        I hope this helps.

        - Paulb
      • irfan29200
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
          It works now. Wiped partition table. Copied some garbage over to the
          disk. Reconnected. Everything works.

          thanks

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Bartholomew"