The Simplest Brick Recovery

  • irfan29200
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2004
      Here is how I recovered from a bad flash.

      Asuming that Redboot is intact and you have terminal or telnet
      connected and you are at the redboot prompt.

      ip_address -l 192.168.0.75 -h 192.168.0.61
      load -r -v -b 0x01000000 codev24.bin
      fis write -f 0x50060000 -b 0x01060000 -l 0x7a0000

      ............IT WORKS

      Explanation:
      ------------
      192.168.0.61 is the address of the TFTP server

      codev24.bin is the renamed firmware file (8192KB) downloaded from
      Linksys and placed on the TFTP server. Apparantly it is the exact
      image of the 8MB flash on NSLU2.

      The whole 8MB firmware file is loaded into NSLU RAM at 0x01000000

      The first 256KB (redboot=mtd0) and 128KB (config=mtd1) are left
      untouched. The remaining 0x7a0000 = 7995392bytes comprise of kernel
      and ramdisk (mtd2+mtd3) and trailer bytes containing the "eRcOmM"
      signature and version number.
      Instead of fiddling with partitions and blocks, I simply copy the
      whole firmware excluding redboot and config to flash.

      Now I have one problem left over. During some testing of mtd
      partitions, I gave a wrong mtd command and since then, I cant attach
      any HDD to the NSLU2. It somply fails to mount them. Here is what it
      says.

      usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
      usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
      usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
      usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
      scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after
      bus reset: host 1 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
      SCSI disk error : host 1 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 50000
      I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 4304
      I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 4312
      JBD: Failed to read block at offset 12
      JBD: recovery failed
      EXT3-fs: error loading journal.
      I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 4200

      The USB disk is OK and works fine in a windows box.