help unbricking NSLU

  • kecskemetig
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005
      Hello there,

      few days ago My NSLU suddenly stopped working. I could reboot it only
      by powering down and up again, however there were no beeps during
      bootup, no web access.
      After some googling I guessed that it was bricked, then I found a
      description how to un-brick via telneting into it
      (http://www.tongfamily.com/guide/pcs/2004/09/15/unbricking_your_nslu2.
      html).

      The process went fine until the last step: I setup a TFTP server,
      loaded a bin image succesfully, however either just before or during
      executing the last command: fis write -f 0x50060000 -b 0x01060000 -l
      0x7a0000, I was disconnected.

      Now during boot, after few seconds of yellow led, the status led
      changes to blinking green/red. Then nothing happens.
      The unit can be pinged at the address 192.168.0.1, but I can't telnet
      into it.

      Is the unit in maintenece mode?????? (blinking green/red)
      Or the unit is dead??

      How can I proceed from this point?
    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005
        In message <dmh1sg+r3h8@...>, kecskemetig
        <kecskemetig@...> writes
        <snip>
        >Now during boot, after few seconds of yellow led, the status led
        >changes to blinking green/red. Then nothing happens.
        >The unit can be pinged at the address 192.168.0.1, but I can't telnet
        >into it.
        >
        >Is the unit in maintenece mode?????? (blinking green/red)
        >Or the unit is dead??
        >
        >How can I proceed from this point?

        Blinking greed/red means that the slug is waiting to be flashed.
        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005

          Thanks, but the real question is how to proceed.

          I can ping the unit on 192.168.0.1. That’s the only thing I can do with it.

          When I connect to it with Hyperterminal (on port 9000), it says it is connected, but I don’t get the RedBoot prompt.

          The Sercomm utility doesn’t recognize it.

          KG

          >Now during boot, after few seconds of yellow led, the status led
          >changes to blinking green/red. Then nothing happens.
          >The unit can be pinged at the address 192.168.0.1, but I can't telnet
          >into it.
          >
          >Is the unit in maintenece mode?????? (blinking green/red)
          >Or the unit is dead??
          >
          >How can I proceed from this point?

          Blinking greed/red means that the slug is waiting to be flashed.
          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA

        • Jelle Alten
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005
            Maybe the reset button got stuck somehow? If it is, it will be asking to be flashed after boot... Try opening the slug (see wiki) and run it naked. Let us know what happened.

            Jelle

            Van: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com [mailto:nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com] Namens Robert Hammond

             In message <dmh1sg+r3h8@...>, kecskemetig
            <kecskemetig@...> writes
            <snip>
            >Now during boot, after few seconds of yellow led,
            the status led
            >changes to blinking green/red. Then nothing
            happens.
            >The unit can be pinged at the address 192.168.0.1, but I can't
            telnet
            >into it.

             Blinking greed/red means that the slug is waiting to be flashed.
          • bloedmann999
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
              got the chance to try this last night, <G>, although I wasn't grinning
              then........

              You have to make sure you hit the cntrl-C at the correct time as the
              telnet session is established. That worked OK. Using the reset button
              on the Slug worked at the third attempt, the first two I kept the
              reset button pressed too long, and the light stopped blinking
              reg/green after a while. When I did it correctly, it stayed blinking
              red/green and serconn could then find the slug. Phew!

              FWIW:
              Not sure why, but when pinging for the Slug as it booted, looking for
              those two seconds...... I never got an answer when i pinged with a
              name, even though the name resolved correctly to the address (using a
              local hosts file on WinXP). When I used the ip address 192.168.0.1
              then I could see the pings being answered for that short time period.

              Cheers Brian

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gabor Kecskemeti"
              <kecskemetig@y...> wrote:

              > Thanks, but the real question is how to proceed.
              >
              > I can ping the unit on 192.168.0.1. That's the only thing I can do
              with it.

              > When I connect to it with Hyperterminal (on port 9000), it says it is
              > connected, but I don't get the RedBoot prompt.
              >
              > The Sercomm utility doesn't recognize it.
              >

              > KG
              >

              > _____

              cation+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+ns
              > lu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=ncJ7zHuN94kilWuTSDl3Vw> and networking
              >
              > Wireless

              1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=L