9756Re: OpenSSH Server being hacked ???

  • wifimax
    Nov 3, 2005
      Thanks for all reply. I am reading and reading to find the best
      solution to prevent hackers login to my NSLU2 server.

      1. Change port number - It might work but I think about the hackers
      can use some port scanning program to know new port.
      2. Frequently changing my login password.
      3. Create a private/public key to login instead of using password
      4. Port knocking. I have to read more about this stuff. very interesting.

      Thanks

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dlubinsk" <dlubinsk@y...> wrote:

      > Well I get around this with a linux box as one of my firewalls; this
      > linux box has a secondary non-routable connection to my slug (which
      > does sit behind a hardware firewall). I "knock" my linux box which
      > in turn "knocks" my slug (via the non-routable connection). This
      > opens the port on my slug and away I go.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Don
      >

      > > Wow, what a great concept. I'd never run into this idea before,
      > I'm
      > > impressed.
      > >
      > > The main problem is that it won't work inside a firewall. Oh
      > well,
      > > I'd been wanting to set up a slug as a firewall anyway, but that
      > > means I need two ethernet interfaces, and I have to deal with the
      > > endian problem if I want to use the internal interface...
      > >
      > > Guess I'll buy a third slug to experiment with.
      > >
      > > Thanks for the pointer.
      > >

      > > On Nov 2, 2005, at 8:10 PM, dlubinsk wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > > Take at look at my howto on port knocking...this is one
      > of
      > > > the reasons I set this up...see if it's of use to you:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SecurityByPortKnocking
      > > >
      > > > My howto explains how to lock down ssh and gain entry when YOU
      > want
      > > > via knock.
      > > >
      > > > Regards,
      > > > Don