9070Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Turboslug - experiences

  • Tommy B
    Oct 3, 2005
      mbanditt wrote:

      >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Tommy B <gentoo@n...> wrote:
      >

      >>The Loft is an upscale version of the NSLU2 with more memory, serial,
      >>JTAG, an extra ethernet, POE, "always-on", and lots more. It is from the
      >>same SOC family.

      >>I've been planning on writing up all this stuff and posting it on the
      >>Giant Shoulder Inc. web site but it's a week or two away as I'm readying
      >>the kickoff of the first Loft production build.
      >>
      >>So at $249 US, for the board, case, PS, compliance (FCC/CE/etc..), and
      >>all the extra features it is a "small" price.
      >>
      >>Best Regards,
      >>
      >>Tom
      >>

      >What's the status of the loft? The website hasn't been updated for
      >quite a while now and it would be nice to see what has happened to
      >your prototypes.

      The Loft is preparing for lift-off :)

      The prototypes are working very well. I'm very pleased with the boards
      and progress. The unofficial Debian BE was running on the prototypes
      within 24 hours of arrival. A modified openslug jffs2 rootfs is also
      running. There are only a couple items on the punch list for turning on
      the production build and these should be resolved shortly.

      >There has been some discussion about the market for such a product.
      >I'm not very sure about the 266MHz, 64MB version. But I really think,
      >if you could sell a 533 MHZ, 128 MB version for a price of 249 US$,
      >that could really be a successful product. (I, at least, would be
      >interested.)

      533 is a $20 price increase. I'm still waiting on the memory cost for
      128MB. I'd guess that be near an additional $30.

      Thanks for the interest.

      Much larger pictures of the hardware will be available soon.

      [g2]

      >Cheers,
      >
      >Michael
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links