8392Re: Samba as a PDC

  • chandersawh
    Sep 5, 2005
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Moerman" <ron@m...> wrote:
      > > OK. I followed the guide above. I get this error:
      >
      > Which one do you mean exactly?
      >
      > > Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user oracle$. Does this user
      > > exist in the UNIX password database ?
      > > Failed to modify password entry for user oracle$
      > > This user does exists in the /etc/passwd file and also in the
      > > smbpasswd file.
      >
      > Samba used to have problems dealing with account names ending in
      '$'. I'm
      > not sure about version 3.1x though.
      > Just to be save, you should uses names like that only for NT machine
      > accounts. Or you can try to use the '--force-badname' option of adduser.
      >
      > What type of account is this 'oracle$'? A regular user, a machine
      account,
      > or what?

      > What action/command triggers this error message?
      >
      > Grtz, Ron

      Thx Ron!

      This is a machine account I am trying to create. 'oracle' is a windows
      XP Pro box on my network. I issue the following command to get this error.
      I get to this point in the guide.

      smbpasswd -a -m oracle
      smbpasswd -a -m oracle$ # either command errors

      I would really like to get this going especially for roaming profiles.
      Any help would be appreciated.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic