5977Re: Problems with 300GB Maxtor

  • trzebuchowski
    May 2 11:02 PM
      Thanks for the reply.

      I've tried to format this drive 20 times now. I wait for over 1 hour
      and than I hear the drive stops, but the blinks stays just the same.
      The NSLU2 freezes and I can't get in contact with it.

      My question is: has the uNSLUng people done something to the OS to
      support drives over 250GB? And is there anyone else that has had this
      kind of problems?

      Regards
      Bartek

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"
      <gerald_clark@m...> wrote:
      > trzebuchowski wrote:
      > > Hi
      > > I'm having hard time making my setup work. I've a 300GB harddrive
      > > connected to my NSLU2 and I just can't format it. After a chat with
      > > Linksys support I knew, that the original firmware only supports
      > > drives up to 250GB, so I hoped that uNSLUng would help, but no.
      > >
      > > The thing that happends is: I start the format, the drive blinks and
      > > blinks and blinks....
      > It takes a while.
      > When I reset the NSLU2, (by pulling the power
      > > cable out), and go back to the admin, the drive is "Not Formatted".
      > If you interrupted the format, you may have a problem now.
      > >
      > > When I connect it to my PC and check it out with partition
      > > magic, I see 3 linux partitions?!
      > Delete them and start over.
      > >
      > > Is there something wrong with the hardware?
      > >
      > > And another question; I've been follownig the readme.txt on how to
      > > flash the nslu2, but some things are not clear to me:
      > >
      > > "
      > > 3) OK, now that you don't have any disks attached, you can proceed and
      > > telnet into the NSLU2 using the username root and password uNSLUng.
      > >
      > > 4) Identify which drive you wish you "unsling", and plug it in. Wait
      > > a minute or two while the disk is mounted."
      > >
      > > What should I telnet to the device on 3?
      > If your slug is on 192.168.0.22 ( for example )
      > telnet 192.168.0.22
      > enter 'root' as the id, and 'uNSLUng' as the password.
      > I did: "/sbin/unsling 1". Was
      > > it what I was supposed to do?
      > No.
      > It is 'unsling disk1'
      > but that won't work until you have the disk working.
      > >
      > > Hope to hear from someone.
      > >
      > > Regards
      > > Bartek
      > >

      > --