5875Re: Using a "virtual" mount

  • dnihlen
    Apr 26, 2005
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Dunphy" <dunphy_brian@y...>
      wrote:

      > I am not sure of the correct term but I am trying to create a
      separate
      > mount so that I can keep my FTP users chrooted but give them read
      only
      > access to other directories. I went to the BusyBox site (
      > http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html )
      > and looked the proper way to use mount but I am still having
      > trouble.
      >
      > Here is the code I used:
      >
      > # mount /share/hdd/data/Music /share/hdd/data/Us
      ers/Zach/AlbertaMusic
      > -o ro
      > mount: Mounting /share/hdd/data/Music on
      > /share/hdd/data/Users/Zach/AlbertaMusic
      > failed: Block device required
      > #

      Hi Brian

      I think achieve what you're trying to do by

      mount -o bind /share/hdd/data/media /share/hdd/data/najlen/media

      It allows you to mount part of the file system in multiple places. I
      haven't tried to get the mount read only, instead I use file
      permissions control who can write files.

      I got my inspiration from:
      http://www.castaglia.org/proftpd/doc/contrib/ProFT
      PD-mini-HOWTO-Chroot.html

      Now I am just trying to figure out how to make this mount stick after
      a reboot, changes in fstab seems to be ignored after reboot.

      Best
      Daniel Nihlén
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic