24753Re: [nslu2-linux] Low power / quiet drive

  • Robert Vassar
    Jan 7, 2011

      FWIW - I have been running a NSLU2 on flash thumb drives for years.  I use mine as a a kind of network watchdog & utility server.  It lives in a neglected corner running simple scripts and cron jobs, BIND (I have a split-horizon zone), etc... The first drive, a brand name 1Gb stick, lasted ~1 year and then failed very suddenly.  It gave no warning at all, and just suddenly stopped working.   If any errors were logged they were lost, as the device became completely unreadable.  I've been running on a cheap no name 512mb stick that I found too small for desktop use for more than 2 years now.  I do use the "noatime" mount option and run without swap.

      My guess is a new / modern 4 - 32Gb will likely outlast any remaining usefulness in the NSLU2.

      Rob

      On Jan 1, 2011, at 7:59 PM, Doug wrote:

      I wonder what the groups experience has been with low power drives under Linux
      on the nslu2? I see there are a lot of complaints about the WD Cavier Green
      drives but others seem to have no problems. I want a drive that runs cool, draws
      less power, and does not require a cooling fan. 64G would be fine but I know
      that 500G is probably a minimum now days.

      I am also interested in experiences with flash drives. I would go that route but
      the uncertainty of write cycle life leaves me a little concerned. I can remember
      way back when 10K writes was the norm life, then 100K, 1M, 10M but just what
      is the write life of these 8-64G USB sticks now and are some better than
      others? I know you can do things to extend the life but what have real
      experiences been? Has anyone "burned" one of these useless on an nslu2?

      Doug Crompton
      WA3DSP
      www.crompton.com

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic