24748Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Low power / quiet drive

  • jon pounder
    Jan 6, 2011
      On 01/06/2011 12:49 PM, stanley_p_miller_qaz wrote:
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof<mwester@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Exactly right!
      >>
      >> But not a single comment on the solution that allows one to use RAID for
      >> the rootfs.
      >>
      >> So, is it worth continuing to support RAID in SlugOS? I ask because I'm
      >> currently struggling to fit stuff into the next SlugOS release, and
      >> something needs to be tossed...
      >>
      >> -Mike (mwester)
      >>
      > For me RAID is not of interest, I'm looking at low power 24x7 operation and it is easy for me to make backups of my slug to another higher power system and keep the slug's power budget low.

      I have to agree on this one - if I am going to start doing raid etc.,
      its not going to be on a device without a console, if my data is that
      important, I want to be able to get in there when I have to to fix
      things and bring it back from the dead. My preference is always where
      possible a generic boot system that can be replaced completely, and the
      data on raid drives that could be put in a completely new system and
      brought back to life if necessary. I don't see the nslu2 as fitting the
      bill for this at all - its niche is a low power solution thats pretty
      much disposable when it breaks, and focus should be on backup of
      whatever matters, and ease of just dumping it back into new hardware
      when needed.