24745Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Low power / quiet drive

  • Mike Westerhof
    Jan 6, 2011
      M.J. Johnson wrote:
      > The amount of discussion this topic has generated is astounding.
      > Many of the messages have debated the merits and shortcomings of solid
      > state vs. microdrives. Bottom line: all drives fail. ALL. ("On a
      > long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.")
      > Which leaves you with a mitigation strategy (RAID or some kind of
      > failover) or a backup strategy.

      Exactly right!

      But not a single comment on the solution that allows one to use RAID for
      the rootfs.

      So, is it worth continuing to support RAID in SlugOS? I ask because I'm
      currently struggling to fit stuff into the next SlugOS release, and
      something needs to be tossed...

      -Mike (mwester)
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic