24727RE: [nslu2-linux] Re: Low power / quiet drive

  • Ralph & Maria Finch
    Jan 3, 2011

      I just wonder why consider a Microdrive when they are such low capacity (2GB-6GB from a quick google search). USB Flash Drives are 10 times the size for roughly the same price. As to reliability I just periodically make an image backup of everything, the procedure is documented on the NSLU2 wiki.  I’ve been running my Slug for a couple of years now, 24/7, with 2 USB flash drives, no problems.  I use it mainly as a proxy server and sometimes for torrent downloads.

      From: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com [mailto:nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dystopianrebel
      Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 8:52 PM
      To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [nslu2-linux] Re: Low power / quiet drive

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Doug <dsc3507@...> wrote:

      > Well the microdrives are small and low power but I am not sure they are more
      > reliable. It seems there is a bunch of opinions on that.

      I don't know about opinions (there's one for every monkey), but I know that mine have been highly reliable for about five years. I run Web servers on them.

      Microdrives are known to require careful handling -- they won't survive a drop that a Flash drive can survive. So any use that requires tumbling from a balcony would eliminate microdrives. Apart from that, I suggest not heeding unsubstantiated opinion. Microdrives work. (o:

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic