24368Re: NSLU2 vs WDTV Live

  • Hassys
    Mar 24, 2010

      Another very good replacement for the NSLU2 is the SheevaPlug.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug

      It's en excellent little box running a 1.2 Ghz arm processor, 512 MB SDRAM, 512 MB Flash and the ability to plug an SD-card to run the OS from instead for internal flash.

      I use this little box to host my SqueezeboxServer (currently hosting some 1200 albums) and it can easily be used as a webserver, fileserver, torrenthost etc.

      Specs (from wiki):
      Manufacturer Marvell
      Type Plug computer
      Release date March 2009 (2009-03)
      Operating system Debian (since rev. 1.2), Ubuntu
      Power 2.3w idle no attached devices, 7.0w running at 100% CPU utilization
      CPU 1.2 GHz ARM Marvell Kirkwood 88F6281
      Storage capacity External hard drive/SDIO card/flash disk
      Memory 512MB SDRAM, 512MB Flash
      Display none
      Connectivity USB 2.0, SD, Gigabit Network, JTAG mini USB
      Dimensions 110 x 69.5 x 48.5 (mm)

      /Me

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I just got myself a WDTV live and to my utter surprise, this also seems like a pretty hackable little 'puter. Its roughly the same size as the NSLU2, except has much more processing power and memory (http://b-rad.cc/974/wdtv-live-unboxing-undressing/comment-page-2/).
      >
      > Was surprised to also see this: http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/wdtv/
      >
      > Which comes to my question - has anyone on this forum attempted custom firmware mods on this device and compared them with the NSLU2? Any plusses and minuses observed?
      >
      > -H
      >

      > The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo.com/

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic