24322Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Slug as Time Machine

  • M.J. Johnson
    Feb 25, 2010
         Accordig to http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.0/htmldocs/afpd.conf.5.html (under "Logging Options"):

      "Extended logging capabilities are only available if Netatalk was built using --with-logfile. As of Netatalk 2.0, the default is --without-logfile since the logger code is partially broken and needs a complete rewrite (the -setuplog option might not work as expected). If Netatalk was built without logger support then the daemons log to syslog."

         I checked in /var/log and don't see any netatalk*.log file, so I'm assuming netatalk has been compiled without logging enabled.

         Here's where I show my lack of *nix skillz: where would I find the syslog on an unslung system?

         - M.J.

      On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 1:28 AM, marbordom <marbordom@...> wrote:

      I just tried this on my nslu2 running debian lenny

      1) It does not work when using
      AppleVolumes.default: /home/user "user"
      and the default afpd.conf
      2) It does work without authentication using
      afpd.conf: "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so
      AppleVolumes.default: /mnt/directory "TimeMachine"

      In case 1) I get errno -1069 in the terminal or
      when using finder: Volume user could not be mounted
      Under 2) I used finder and connected via
      afp://ip address/TimeMachine

      as guest - and there it was !

      Hmm, what are the log files in your case
      /var/log/syslog has some info in my case.

      Otherwise it should not be too hard to compile under debian but the problem must have a simpler solution than that.

      Marc

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

      > Well, after some additional attempts, it looks like I'm unable to even
      > connect using afp from my Mac OS X machine. I followed the instructions:
      >
      > Finder-> Go -> Connect to server
      > afp://192.168.0.178/TimeMachine
      >
      > I was challenged with:
      >
      > 'Enter your user name and password to access the file server "Time
      > Capsule".'
      >
      > I attempted to login as guest, since that was how I configured afpd.conf,
      > and received the error:
      >
      > 'Connection failed - There was an error connecting to the server. Check the
      > server name or IP address and try again.'
      >
      > The only configurations I made were to /opt/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf to
      > allow guest access:
      >
      > "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so
      >
      > and to /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default
      >
      > /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine "TimeMachine"
      >
      > pulse_and_saw commented that he had to compile from source on Debian
      > Lenny to get authentication working against Mac OS X. I'm not sure if I'm
      > up for that (having never done so for any packages running on my Unslung
      > 6.10 NSLU), so I'll ask the two questions:
      >
      > 1. Is there any knowledge among this community what might be causing
      > authentication to fail against Mac OS X 10.5.8 (which is what I'm running)?
      >
      > 2. Are there how-tos available that might assist me if I decide I'm
      > willing to compile netatalk from source on my Unslung box?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > - M.J.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic