24284Re: Slug as Time Machine

  • marbordom
    Feb 3, 2010
      You need to mount the volume in which the sparsebundle resides manually before you setup Time machine for the first time ! Mac OS wont scan your network for it.

      Finder-> Go -> Connect to server
      After that you will see this volume in your selection for timemachine.

      Here the longer version: Basically this worked for me (on a DNS-323) but must work on a nslu2 as well.

      1) set up afp server
      I assume:
      homedir for apple=/home/apple
      nslu2 IP =

      2) in the config file AppleVolumes.default
      add line:

      /home/apple "apple"

      3) start apple talk server (afpd)
      4) create sparsebundle file
      I assume:
      hostname of mac computer=macbook
      MAC of mac computer=0023abbadead
      sparsebundle name=macbook_0023abbadead.sparsebundle
      5) transfer sparsebundle to
      Note: I transferred it tar'ed and gzipped and then uncompressed
      There should be a directory on nslu2:
      6) mount from mac osx the apple volume
      7) setup Time machine using this Volume "apple"

      Sometimes Time machine wont mount the volume and you see a backup "delayed" message. I think that it is not bulletproof to use a non Apple Time Machine supported network drive but so be it...
      I experience that afp is more reliable than samba/cifs for time machine and prob. supports links and weird characters.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic