23925Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: CUPS printing to LPD Unslung 6.10-beta? Or should I change firmware?

  • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
    Aug 9, 2009
      starnamer wrote:

      > Regarding your suggestion, the point is that I don't want to leave another PC running when I'm away and want to print something for reference back home. There's also the situation where I'm sat next to the printer using a PC which is VPN'd into a remote site, and blocked from accessing the local subnet by policies set at the remote site, so, effectively, the local PC isn't available!

      So you need IPP. No problem, works great.

      > So with all the caveats, it is possible to get at least a subset of CUPS running?

      Of course - I mentioned that in the original email you referenced: just
      run the print driver (Windows) or renderer/converter (Linux) locally,
      and use CUPS on the NSLU2 to pass the HP PCL (or whatever your native
      printer speaks) from the IPP port to the printer.

      > Obviously, it would need a reasonable amount of spool space and probably a large swap area, but since old PC's used to be able to manage to do this so it should be possibly. Does the functionality exist and has been disabled or would I need to get hold of the sources and build a custom version of CUPS? The latter might be better as I could then remove completely anything I didn't want rather than just disable or not use it, however, this would obviously be more work!

      Of course this works -- see my earlier emails! This is basic CUPS
      functionality. I chose to use a 20GByte hard drive for spool space, but
      given the price of flash drives anymore you could easily do this with a
      flash drive.

      > You also didn't comment as to whether Debian could do it? Or does this count as an Optware variant in this case?

      The issue is the NSLU2 hardware. So, no, Debian would have exactly the
      same issues SlugOS would have. Unslung differs only in that it has an
      older kernel, so it may be slightly different in exactly where and how
      it would fail. But the issue is the hardware -- you do not have enough
      CPU and memory to run the postscript->PCL conversion (or whatever
      converter you would need for your printer) on the device, in any
      practical way.

      > Thanks agan for the reply.

      Mike (mwester)
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic