23849Re: SlugOS 4.8 -> 5.3 upgrade

  • slackline
    Jul 9, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

      > slackline wrote:
      > > You say that having /opt/sbin and/or /opt/usr/sbin before /sbin and /usr/sbin would be a problem, could it be that this is also true if /opt/bin is defined before /sbin and /usr/sbin ?
      > >
      > > Showing my ignorance here, but why does the order matter? If the shell can't find the command in the first path it searches it moves onto the next, then the next doesn't it?
      >
      > In the case that an executable of the same name exists in both optware
      > and the native feeds, it would be desirable that the native executable
      > be chosen.

      Ah, yes sloppy writing on my behalf, I'm not quite that ignorant and get that having the native apps would be preferable, but was wondering why /opt/bin might prevent binaries in /sbin and/or /usr/sbin from being found.

      Still having NFS issues but haven't really had time to sit down and thrash through them yet. Maybe if its raining this weekend I'll do it.

      Cheers,

      Neil
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic