23828Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: SlugOS 4.8 -> 5.3 upgrade

  • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
    Jun 30, 2009
      slackline wrote:
      > Turns out the original errors were because /usr/sbin/ (and /sbin) were not in root's $PATH environment despite /etc/profile having them listed for root.

      Can you please investigate this a bit more? This is a serious problem;
      if this happens auto-magically as a result of installing either native
      or optware packages, we must fix this ASAP. On the other hand, if this
      is a result of "pilot error", a note on the wiki would be important.

      For SlugOS, not much will work correctly if you don't have /sbin and
      /usr/sbin in the root's $PATH, and its also worth noting that those
      directories must appear before /opt/sbin or /opt/usr/sbin, if the latter
      appear at all.

      > However, I now get an error message that portmap can't be started...

      Yep. Expected... it's an ordering issue. If you install portmap first,
      then start it (manually, or reboot), then install nfs-utils, all is
      well. But I find that too much effort; I just install it, ignore the
      errors that you detail below, and reboot. All should be well after a
      reboot.

      (And yes, this is a bug in the install/startup scripts for nfs.)

      > # opkg install nfs-utils portmap --force-reinstall
      > Reinstalling nfs-utils (1.1.2-3) on root...
      > Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/cross/5.3-beta/nfs-utils_1.1.2-3_armv5teb.ipk
      > Reinstalling portmap (6.0-r3) on root...
      > Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/cross/5.3-beta/portmap_6.0-r3_armv5teb.ipk
      > Configuring nfs-utils
      > System startup links for /etc/init.d/nfsserver already exist.
      > stopping mountd: done
      > stopping statd: done
      > starting mountd: Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
      > done
      > starting statd: done
      > Configuring portmap
      > System startup links for /etc/init.d/portmap already exist.
      >

      > Will report back when I've solved this too.
      >
      >> (The /media/sdb* errors are due to the HD being tempramental, plugging it into the desktop solved this in the past, something to do with the cable, or ultimately an excuse to get another HD).

      Peruse the mailing list archives; you will want to disable the SlugOS
      "automount" facility (/etc/udev/something-or-other). Then mount your
      partitions by UUID instead of /dev/sd* -- this will avoid much pain and
      sadness.

      > Sorted this, power-cycling and plugging into the desktop then repeating and plugging back into slug sorted it.
      >
      > Neil

      Mike (mwester)
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic