23804Re: direct ethernet connection from PC to slug

  • Richard
    Jun 25, 2009
      Yeah I tried that but I'm still unable to share the wireless internet connection with the slug via win xp ICS. ICS requires the use of 192.168.0.1, but the router already uses this IP as it's gateway. I have no access to the wireless router btw.

      Can you tell me why this approach doesn't work: I setup a web proxy server to listen on 10.0.0.1, and then I tell the debian installer to use this proxy for getting packages, but it doesn't work.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "David Wurz" <dwwurz@...> wrote:

      > try 10.0.0.1 for slug, 10.0.0.2 for slugs port on PC then it should work.
      >

      > Ah, good idea. However I tried to share my wireless with my hardwired
      > ethernet connection but windows ICS won't let me because it tries to change
      > the wireless ip to 192.168.0.1, but my gateway has the same ip. I even tried
      > manually assigning the wireless ip to 192.168.0.2 but that doesn't help. It
      > seems I've hit another dead end.
      >
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, whaly <whaly.ml@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > You can share internet in windows xp, follow :
      > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126
      > >
      > > Then on the nslu2 network settings, add 192.168.1.66 for the gateway.
      > >
      > > Good luck,
      > > Whaly
      > >
      > > On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Richard<jut.shanahan@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > I'm sharing a wireless connection with my neighbor. This router is
      > > > upstairs
      > > > and I cannot plug my slug into it. Therefore I have an ethernet cable
      > > > going
      > > > from my pc (win xp) to the slug directly. I also have a wireless adapter
      > > > that I get internet access through.
      > > >
      > > > Now I was able to see the web page for the slug just fine and uploaded
      > > > the
      > > > debian installer image fine as well. I am now at the beginning of the
      > > > debian
      > > > install where it's asking for a suitable mirror to use for downloading
      > > > packages. But as you may have guessed, the slug, and thus the debian
      > > > installer cannot see the outside world (the internet). Can someone
      > > > suggest
      > > > how to circumvent this problem? I tried setting up a web proxy server
      > > > and
      > > > letting the debian installer know about it, but that was a no go :(
      > > >
      > > > My ip's are:
      > > >
      > > > wireless adapter: 192.168.0.101
      > > > pc ethernet: 192.168.1.66
      > > > slug: 192.168.1.77