23723Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Marvell SheevaPlug Port --- Has anybody seen this?

  • CN
    Jun 6, 2009
      --Original Message Text---
      From: David Given
      Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 21:28:55 +0100
      > I don't know whether it's possible to install optware packages on a full
      Debian installation, but I assume so. You may not need to, however.

      David, For slugosbe, the aptware apache version had limitations for my site, and the original builder of that limited apache could/did not want to continue. That is why I had to go with the optware pkgs. There were a number of other odds and ends pkgs which simply were not in the apt stream, at least ~3 years ago.

      >AFAIK, unless they've changed something, all SlugOSes boot from flash
      (so the the kernel and root filesystem are on the flash device). They
      may then optionally switch to using an alternative root filesystem on an
      external disk if that's what you want, which I think is what your setup is.

      What is the parent distribution of slugosbe, is that Debian?

      >You *may* want to hold off a bit --- there's a device from Marvell
      called the OpenRD coming up. It's the same processor as the SheevaPlug
      but in a bigger box and has more ports --- VGA, seven USB ports (the
      SheevaPlug only has one!), etc. Hopefully two Ethernet. Projected price
      is $200 as opposed to the SheevaPlug's $100. OTOH, my SheevaPlug is
      doing pretty well...

      Well for me, smaller the better :) I am into micro pwr versions... What about the second usb mini on the dev system of SheevaPlug? Is that not available as a general purpose usb? They would have the non development system, with only one usb port, which is even smaller (the same size as the old wall warts), and this my final target -- expected $40, and this is my interest for the SheevaPlug.

      Cordially,
      CN

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic