23721Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Marvell SheevaPlug Port --- Has anybody seen this?

  • CN
    Jun 6, 2009
      David,

      I have read Martin's instructions, and looked at many of the threads at the plugforum.

      I currently use in my slugosbe, aptware modules, and quite a few optware ones such as full apache, and others which were not available in the aptware. Is optware apache, as an example, available on your plug/debian? [Pardon me if I am way off, I need to go brush up my terminology about distributions and what runs currently on slugosbe.]

      >OpenSlug, of course, is probably going to use flash instead

      So there is an effort currently for getting OpenSlug to plug? I have been away from this forum for so long, I am forgetting most of the terminology...

      How does that compare with the slugosbe I am running? Is the kernel in slugosbe in flash or is it coming from my 20Gb usb disk? I reboot every so often... After installing slugosbe, I had made only a couple of small changes in the flash of each of my my two servers, so that when I run the same usb disk image (or even same physical disk) from either server, the server identity such as the local port and name, is recognizable by me.

      I am almost ready to order a Sheevaplug. I just want to get a better feel as to there wont be a deal breaker in porting my extensive script based custom web server with image processing, secure login, ... to the plug environment.

      Cordially,
      CN

      On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 13:00:11 +0100, David Given wrote:
      CN wrote:
      [...]
      > You mentioned several members here are ordering... I could not find any
      > other thread about the SheevaPlug in our forum. Are there ?

      The closest thing to a SheevaPlug community is the terrible web forum
      here: http://openplug.org/plugforum

      There's been occasional discussions of it here, but nothing of any great
      significance.

      I'm running Debian on mine --- Martin Michlmayr's instructions work
      well. (In fact, this message ought to be sent out through mine, cross
      fingers.) It's all fairly straightforward apart from u-boot's USB
      support being extremely dodgy so that it's basically not feasible to
      load the kernel and ramdisk from USB. OpenSlug, of course, is probably
      going to use flash instead so that won't be a problem.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic