23571Re: jamvm (Java VM) on SlugOS ==> "ld.so does not support TLS, but program uses it"

  • rob.lougher
    Apr 8, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jan <obiyawn@...> wrote:

      > Sebastien,
      >

      > Thanks for the elaborate explanation. Once you have your USB issues sorted, it would be great if you could try jamvm on 5.3 then. The error message occurs even when I run jamvm without any parameters at all, meaning that I am not even asking it to run any Java byte code.
      >

      > I wonder what potential issues could result if I replace ld.so with a newer version. And where would I be able to obtain a newer version?

      The latest versions of JamVM will use thread-local-storage (TLS) if the compiler supports it, as it leads to a minor performance improvement. Your problem is you're installing prebuilt packages obviously built on a system that supports TLS, but your system doesn't...

      Really, you have two options :

      1) Upgrade your system (replacing ld.so on a running system is _very_ dangerous).

      2) Build JamVM yourself. Hopefully, this will not detect that your system supports TLS (but it can in some systems where the compiler supports it, but nothing else does). In this case you can manually disable TLS... Of course, this option requires the ability to build packages yourself. On embedded systems this is usually via cross-compilation, which means you need a toolchain...

      Hope this helps,

      Rob.

      > Thanks
      >
      > Jan