23568Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: slug usb controller hurt?

  • Sébastien Lorquet
    Apr 8, 2009
      Thanks for the confirmation.

      Yes, for a few days this slug was connected to both a contact (not contactless) smart card reader AND the stick.
      Both devices are reported to use 100 mA by windows xp.
      This leaves 1.8A for the slug itself *if* the psu really delivers 2A.

      eheh, this page http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/OverClockTheSlug is reporting 1.8A too, not bad!

      On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 5:38 PM, ernstjanoud <ernstoud@...> wrote:
      Sounds like a dying power supply to me. The fact that the LED on it stays on doesn't mean a thing. I reckon the power supply cannot deliver the surge that occurs when the USB stick is connected. As a result there probably is a drop in voltage causing the NSLU2 to crash.

      If you have a voltmeter try what happens if you put a load on the power supply; it should deliver a steady 5 Volts upto a load of 2 amps (10 Watt). For instance a 6V 10 Watt lightbulb could be a load.

      Or ofcourse try a different power adapter.

      Ernst

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Sébastien Lorquet <squalyl@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I just left my slug up and running a few days, nothing special, just a small
      > usb stick connected.
      >
      > This morning, I wanted to ssh into in. Impossible to connect. The first
      > thing I try is power down, remove the usb stick, boot from flash.
      > It was all ok, the slug is working.
      >
      > Then, I plug my usb stick in usb port 2 (next to ethernet socket)
      >
      > This results in immediate lockup, ssh connection is lost.
      > The only thing I can do is remove the power and restart.
      > The same results happens if I connect ANY usb stick in ANY port.
      > I also tried to reflash with a fresh slugosbe 5.3 binary.
      >
      > I suspect the usb controller is dead or hurt. But how is it possible? heat?
      > The slug was not moved, not shocked, not in a hot place, etc
      >
      > I hope I'll find a oops on the serial console.
      > I don't have one now, i'm going to try to solder a row of pins and get a
      > 3.3v rs232 adapter. I hope FTDI USBMODs are ok with 3.3V, this could save me
      > a lot of worries.
      >
      > Any idea on this sudden usb death?
      >
      > Sebastien
      >
      > PS: the problem is partial, when I plug a smart card reader in port 1 (next
      > to power) I get:
      > usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
      > usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
      >
      > and when I plug the same card reader in port 2 (next to ethernet) I get the
      > slug locked.
      > Argh, Sometimes the slug dies when I plug the reader in port 1 too.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)