23509Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Where did usermod go?

  • Mike (mwester)
    Mar 28 12:41 PM
      bommeej wrote:
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:
      >> bommeej wrote:
      >>> I just acquired a NSLU2 and without a thought started hacking it. I have SlugOs running perfectly with a USB drive as the root file system. All was going according to plan, until I went to install Samba (and wanted to add a group of users) when it became apparent there wasn't any usermod command.
      >>>
      >>> I have spent a good deal of time searching and am at a loss.
      >> :-) Try some other similar commands: adduser and deluser work.
      >
      > Yes, adduser and deluser work, however unless I am mistaken they can't be used to add an existing user to a group. I would have to delete the user first and then re-create the account. That a bit of a kluge...

      Oh, *that's* what you want to do. Sorry, I missed that. Do:

      busybox addgroup <username> <groupname>

      Or edit the /etc/group file.

      >>> I even gave the ole "hand bomb" a try and edited the /etc/groups file with no avail:
      >>>
      >>> root@SLUG:~# grep users /etc/group
      >>> users:*:100:mike,bill,bob
      >>> root@SLUG:~# groups bill
      >>> bill : bill

      Not sure where the group command came from -- what package is that?

      Login as the user in question, and use the "id" command to see what
      groups you are a member of.

      Also note that if you have a multi-user machine, and are using any
      busybox utilities, you'll get a lot of messages about "falling back".
      These are really quite annoying. You can shut busybox up by simply (as
      root):

      touch /etc/busybox.conf
      chmod 644 /etc/busybox.conf
      chown 0.0 /etc/busybox.conf

      (the last two lines are precautionary; they just establish the tight
      security constraints required by busybox for this feature).

      ((for those curious, this is a feature of busybox that hasn't yet been
      fully enabled; you can read about it at the busybox website and if it
      would be useful, let us know -- we'll keep it for the next release then,
      otherwise it might just be removed.))

      Mike (mwester)
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic