23506Re: [nslu2-linux] Where did usermod go?

  • Mike (mwester)
    Mar 28, 2009
      bommeej wrote:
      > I just acquired a NSLU2 and without a thought started hacking it. I have SlugOs running perfectly with a USB drive as the root file system. All was going according to plan, until I went to install Samba (and wanted to add a group of users) when it became apparent there wasn't any usermod command.
      >
      > I have spent a good deal of time searching and am at a loss.

      :-) Try some other similar commands: adduser and deluser work.

      > I even gave the ole "hand bomb" a try and edited the /etc/groups file with no avail:
      >
      > root@SLUG:~# grep users /etc/group
      > users:*:100:mike,bill,bob
      > root@SLUG:~# groups bill
      > bill : bill
      >
      > I noticed there are two */etc/groups files in the system, /initr/etc/groups and /etc/groups. What gives?

      /initrd is the internal flash filesystem, and once you have done the
      "turnup", it is used only momentarily during early boot. So it would be
      unusual to use the groups and passwd files on /initrd for a normal,
      running system.

      > Any help would be appreciated.

      Just run "adduser" (the tinylogin version) or "busybox adduser" (for the
      busybox version) -- either should work.

      Mike (mwester)
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic