23091Re: Getting started with development for the slug

  • vivekv
    Feb 1, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

      > vivekv wrote:
      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, S├ębastien Lorquet <squalyl@>
      wrote:
      > >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
      > >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/HomePage
      > >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile
      > >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile#debian
      > >>
      > >> you're welcome ;-)
      > >>

      > > Been there and done that.
      >
      > But you didn't tell us that.
      >
      > > I was hoping for more recent experiences.
      >
      > The wiki is reasonably up-to-date and works for many others. So I
      > rather suspect it's not out-of-date documentation that we should be
      > looking for...
      >
      > > For example here is what I am facing when try to install unslung
      packages

      > > vivekv@insideman:~$ cd slug
      > > vivekv@insideman:~/slug$ make setup
      > > [ -e common/.git/config ] || \
      > > ( git clone git://repo.or.cz/nslu2-linux/master.git common
      && \
      > > rm -f Makefile && \
      > > ln -s common/Makefile Makefile )
      > > touch common/.git/config
      > > [ -e bitbake/.svn/entries ] || \
      > > ( svn co svn://svn.berlios.de/bitbake/tags/bitbake-1.8.10
      > > bitbake )
      > > touch bitbake/.svn/entries
      > > [ -e openembedded/.git/config ] || \
      > > ( git clone git://git.openembedded.net/openembedded
      > > openembedded ; \
      > > cd openembedded ; \
      > > git config --add remote.origin.fetch
      > > '+refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/*' )
      > > remote: Counting objects: 267640, done.
      > > remote: Compressing objects: 100% (93094/93094), done.
      > > Indexing 267640 objects.
      > > fatal: unexpected EOF done
      > > fatal: early EOF
      > > fatal: index-pack died with error code 128
      > > fetch-pack from 'git://git.openembedded.net/openembedded' failed.
      >
      > OUCH! Looks like your host's git failed. Perhaps a bad network
      > connection? Firewall? Proxy config?
      >
      > > /bin/sh: line 2: cd: openembedded: No such file or directory
      >
      > Yeah, the git command failed, so the openembedded git repo isn't there
      > for the cd command to cd to... so this is rather expected at this point.
      >
      > > git: 'config' is not a git-command
      >
      > Uh-oh -- this is bad.
      >

      > > The most commonly used git commands are:
      > > add Add files to the index file
      > > apply Apply patch on a git index file and a work tree
      > > archive Creates a archive of the files in the named tree
      > > bisect Find the change that introduced a bug
      > > branch List, create, or delete branches.
      > > checkout Checkout and switch to a branch
      > > cherry-pick Apply the change introduced by an existing commit
      > > clone Clones a repository
      > > commit Record your changes
      >
      > Hmmm... no git config command. I'm guessing that your host git is
      > possibly just out-of-date; that may also explain the troubles earlier as
      > well. As a data point, git --version on my system is 1.5.6.6; I think I
      > recall that 1.5.3 was also working fine for me.

> [...]

      Hm... I am on git 1.4.4.4. I do have a resonable network connection
      (no drops etc., .5 MBPS) and the failure happens when setup is about
      20-25% indexing complete. I cant seem to find a newer version of git.
      apt-get cant find it. I have to look for it manually I guess. I am
      running Debian 4.0 Etch on CoLinux.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic