22846Re: Illegal characters when copying files

  • rolandkbs
    Jan 4, 2009
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rincewindcook" <pawcook@...> wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Bob Cox <bobcox1955@> wrote:
      > >
      > > In article <gjninc+2q49@>,
      > > rincewindcook <pawcook@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "rincewindcook" <pawcook@>

      > seems to
      > > >>

      > > > I now think this may be a problem with samba, but being a slug/linux
      > > > n00b i'm not sure what to do next.
      > > > I am running V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta, Unslung to disk2, /dev/sda1
      > > > this includes the default version of samba 3.0.11 and I have
      selected
      > > > Language support USA(437).
      > > > Is this possibly a matter of either upgrading samba or modifying
      > smb.conf
      > > > If anyone can give me any clues it would be much appreciated.
      > >
      > > I know nothing about unslung, but your problem looks like a locales
      > > issue. You should be able to copy files with names including these
      > > characters to and from a Samba share. I suggest you google for
      > > something like 'filenames locales utf-8' and see if you can find any
      > > clues there.
      > >

      > That's what i did Bob and came to the conclusion that the problem is
      > indeed with samba or the config, I just don't know how to fix it, yet.
      > I see you are running Debian, and I assume you have no such problems
      > with your setup, I am thinking it will be beneficial for me in the
      > long run to just bite the bullet and switch to Debian, bit worried to
      > do that though as I have very limited linux knowledge although the
      > support and info on the web is amazing. I notice you are over in Stoke
      > Gifford, sometimes it's a small world, I live in Chipping Sodbury.
      >

      > > --
      > > Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
      > > Debian on the NSLU2: http://bobcox.com/slug/
      > > Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter -
      http://counter.li.org/

      I'm using Unslung(V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta) with Samba(3.0.11) to
      backup my mp3-files with all those special characters (äöü' etc.)
      without any problem.
      My setting in the Web-Configuration (Administration -> System ->
      Language Support) is 'Western Europe/Latin 1(850)'.
      In /etc/samba/smb.conf I have (generated by Unslung) the lines
      unix charset = CP850
      dos charset = CP850

      Roland
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic