22737Re: Python Installation on SlugOS 4.8-beta

  • reuter.rudolf
    Dec 9, 2008
      Hello Brian,
      Thanks again for your quick help. Unfortunately I did not found the
      "python" package in /opt/lib/ipkg/lists/optware. Now with your help it
      is clear to me, and it worked.
      It is always amazing to see how much knowledge you have about Linux.
      And it is very friendly from from you to help others, which are not on
      your high level.
      Still one question of curiosity:
      I have seen under optware python24, python25, python26 and python30
      packages. The package "python" symlinks now to python25. Hence, I
      guess this is the most stable one, concerning the use of external
      modules. Which events will then shift the symlink to a newer version,
      e.g. python26?
      With best regards, Rudy

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

      > > 1. Moving /opt/bin/ in file /etc/profile to the first place in the
      > > PATH statement showed the problem that WinSCP no longer worked.
      > > Therefore I left /opt/bin at the end of PATH. Test with $ env.
      > >
      > You only need to change the PATH for your particular script, no need
      > to make the PATH global. You can even try something real quick with
      > "env PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH /path/to/your/script"
      >
      > > 2. I have not seen any symlink /opt/bin/python. In
      > > /opt/lib/ipkg/info/python25.list there is no file like
      > /opt/bin/python.
      > >
      > What I meant was that "/opt/bin/ipkg install python" would install the
      > /opt/bin/python symlink.
      >

      > > 3. Seeing in /usr/bin that "python" (version 2.5.1) was a copy of
      > > "python2.5" I renamed "python" to "python.org". Next step was to
      > copy
      > > /opt/bin/python2.5 to /opt/bin/python. When I call now "env python"
      > > the python version 2.5.2 from /opt/bin/ was called.
      > > Is that a good solution?
      > >
      > See 2.
      >
      > Good luck,
      >
      > -Brian