21902RE: [nslu2-linux] Re: F5L009 belkin network usb hub

  • Gregg C Levine
    Jun 29, 2008
      Hello!
      Well it is there. I gave it the full product name, which is obviously
      F5L009, and that was enough for the site to show me everything it knew about
      it, which was not much. It is located at:
      http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/ which contained some interesting things
      to tell about it. The other problem is that we still do not know what it is
      wearing under the covers.

      The other problem is that they are still learning about Linux, they are
      still suffering from the same problems that nearly caught Linksys earlier
      on.
      --
      Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

      Behalf
      > Of bullfrog528
      > Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:10 AM
      > To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [nslu2-linux] Re: F5L009 belkin network usb hub
      >
      > Hi
      >
      > Still can't find this specific product on the www.belkin.com site.
      > I'm clicking on hubs on the left and then usb hubs in the drop down
      > menu which does indeed bring up some products with similar cases,
      > but not this specific product. It's essentially a wired ethernet to
      > 5 usb port device. The only devices I see in a similar case are 2
      > items for the mac. And a WUSB pair which uses it's own wireless link
      > rather than wifi.
      >
      > I'll need to reconfirm the source of the information regarding it
      > running linux.
      >
      > I've now found a belkin gpl download site is here -
      > http://www.belkin.com/support/gpl.asp
      >
      > Not many products are mentioned.
      >
      > Jeremy (Bullfrog)
      >

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg C Levine"
      > <hansolofalcon@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello!
      > > Actually, Jeremy (Bullfrog), according to the Belkin site, it isn't
      > > discontinued. Not yet. It is however hard to find as their site
      > was never
      > > properly optimized. I simply went there, and checked under their
      > USB devices
      > > section, and it simply turned up under hubs, and was sparsely
      > documented as
      > > I've described earlier.
      > >
      > > As for it being Linux based, well the Register has a reputation
      > for being
      > > wrong seven out of ten times per week. (Or should especially given
      > the fact
      > > that most people ignore them until it's too late.) They (Belkin)
      > are
      > > probably not completely aware that anything Linux based needs to
      > be supplied
      > > with both a binary and a source download.
      > >
      > > Now here's a suggestion, before actively considering something
      > else from
      > > Linksys, why not bring the Register's blurb to the attention of
      > Belkin, they
      > > also have a reputation of listening to customers. It may take a
      > while, but
      > > they might be interested.
      > > --
      > > Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
      > > "The Force will be with you always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic