21246Re: Spinning down disks when using Samba

  • bloedmann999
    Mar 6, 2008
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "fmarkgraf" <fmarkgraf@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > experimenting with the instructions to allow spin down of disk 1.
      > I followed the steps described here
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks
      > and here
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetSpinDownTimeOnMaxtorOneTouch
      > to modify the system.
      > Since the disk would still not spin down, I stopped smbd and nmbd from
      > Samba 3.0.24. This made the disk to spin down after a while.
      > Can I do anything to allow disk spindown with the Samba demons running?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Frank

      Frank,
      I had the same problem. A helpfull tip told me to do the following:

      >>Easiest way to find out what a process is accessing
      >>is to use 'strace'
      >>in combo with -e trace=open,close,read,write to see what it is
      >>opening/closing,reading/writing.

      Do that and you will probably see that the smbd daemon is constantly
      opening and closing /var/cache/samba/browse.dat. That was the case on
      my slug.
      I solved it by moving /var/cache/samba also onto ramfs, and then
      setting a symlink in /var/cache called samba that points to the ramfs
      directory.

      Hope that helps.

      Cheers Brian
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic