20938Re: [nslu2-linux] Debian vs OpenSlug: poor Samba performance?

  • John
    Feb 1, 2008
      Markus,

      On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 01:07:28PM -0000, markusingendahl wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I just migrated from OpenSlug 2.7 to the current Debian version.
      >
      > My first performance test with samba shares showed that my current
      > installation is significantly slower that before.
      >
      > [snip]
      >
      > I don't know, but I believe I used ext2 as file system before and now
      > it is ext3. Does this make the trick?

      That is a simple one to check. Unmount the ext3 disk and then
      mount it as ext2 (mount -t ext2 ....). This is possible because
      ext3 was designed to be ext2 compatible.

      While you are at it, make sure you have the noatime mount
      option set for all ext2/ext3 disks.

      Also, Debian has many usually unnecessary services, like a
      mail server, running by default. To reduce swapping (thereby
      increasing slug speed), you can turn them off.

      John
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic