20930Re: Debian vs OpenSlug: poor Samba performance?

  • Bob Cox
    Feb 1, 2008
      In article <fnv5ig+bneg@...>,
      markusingendahl <mark.i@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I just migrated from OpenSlug 2.7 to the current Debian version.
      >
      > My first performance test with samba shares showed that my current
      > installation is significantly slower that before.
      >
      > As far as I can see, I configured samba as I did before when using
      > OpenSlug.
      >
      > Before I hat a read performance of about 4,5 kb per second.
      > Now it's only 2,8 to 3,0 kb per second.
      >
      > Any idea what's wrong? Any hints where to find some hints?
      >
      > I don't know, but I believe I used ext2 as file system before and now
      > it is ext3. Does this make the trick?
      >
      > Ah by the way: in boths setups I used a mdadm driven raid 1 system
      > (same hardware)

      Sorry, no ideas, but firstly I assume you mean MB (Megabytes) per
      second?

      I did not know what speed to expect so I transferred a big file (just
      under 2GB) from the slug to a WinXP box using Samba.

      terminus:/home/bob# uname -a
      Linux terminus 2.6.18-4-ixp4xx #1 Tue Mar 27 18:01:56 BST 2007 armv5tel
      GNU/Linux

      Samba is version 3.0.24-6.

      5 minutes 33 seconds to transfer 1,967,128,576 bytes, which is 5,907,293
      bytes/second or 5.9 Megabytes (MB)/sec (or approximately 47 Megabit
      (Mb)/sec)

      So, yes, 2.8 to 3MB per second is perhaps a bit slow.

      The Windoze box is an old one running XP SP1.

      Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/
      Debian on NSLU2 Slug: http://bobcox.com/slug/
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic