20340Re: Trouble with installing Debian on NSLU2...

  • cmelikian
    Dec 9, 2007
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

      > You can use the current installer if you take one thing into account:
      > simply start the installer and perform an installation. During base
      > install, the installer with fail to install the kernel. When this
      > happens, choose base install again and this time it will give you the
      > option to choose a kernel... choose the 2.6.18-5-ixp4xx kernel and the
      > installation will work.

      I can confirm that this worked for me. I used the 4.0 (not 4.01)
      release and it worked exactly as above. It's a bit scary (relatively!)
      seeing the install fail but bear with it and all will be OK. Only
      problem I found was that my swap space was not being used even though
      I had configured this in the installer and the swap partition had been
      created. Not sure if this was my fault or not. When the install fails
      it will eventually lead you to the main menu with many option on it.
      My screen was corrupted as I was using the wrong character set (use
      UTF8!!) and maybe I missed an obvious marker that this had not been
      done but don't think so.

      Anyway, if it fails you can always restart the install so go for it!

      PS I had to use the sercomm utility as the other (easier) options
      wouldn't work to get the installer on the slug. I was upgrading from
      Unslung 6.8
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic