20116Re: Troubles with Unison and/or rsync

  • diskcrasher
    Nov 4, 2007
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Reid" <brenreid@...> wrote:

      > On 04/11/2007, diskcrasher <diskcrasher@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > >Thanks! It appears to be working now
      > >

      > then maybe you are ready to look into rsnapshot which uses rsync to
      maintain
      > time snapshots of harddrives on your network (eg 4 snapshots from
      last day,
      > 1 snapshot for each of last 7 days, 1 snapshot per each of the last
      4 weeks,
      > 1 snapshot per each of the last x months)
      >
      > it uses symlinks heavily so unless files change their is no big storage
      > overhead in the multiple snapshots
      >
      > i use the slug to make copies of the network hd's in this way
      >
      > takes a bit of setting up... start small check working as you want
      for a few
      > days...make sure you exclude temp/cache type files when backing up /home
      >
      > don't know unison but maybe this would work for you...

      I'll take a look at rsnapshot. I finally got unison working (same
      mistake as with rsync, doh) but it has a problem backing up in-use
      files--it not only skips the file but skips all other files in that
      directory tree! Not good.

      How does rsync handle in-use files on Windows?
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic