20067Re: solid amber light after installing etch firmware

  • Max_LegRoom
    Nov 1, 2007

      I have yet to put debian on my slug, so I may be wrong but shouldn't
      you attach the drive immediately after upslug finishes and BEFORE
      rebooting? According to your post you rebooted first...

      Stu

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "richarddmorey" <moreyr@...> wrote:

      > I got my NSLU2 today. I've been planning to install debian on it via
      > the instructions here:
      >
      > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html
      >
      > I installed unslung and played with the web interface a little
      > (formatted my external drive, changed the network settings), then
      > decided to install debian.
      >
      > I plugged in my external hard drive to my laptop (running Ubuntu 7
      > livedisk) and partitioned/formatted my drive using Gparted. Here is
      > what fdisk looks like after I've partitioned:
      >
      > Disk /dev/sdb: 60.0 GB, 60000000000 bytes
      > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7294 cylinders
      > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
      >
      > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      > /dev/sdb1 * 1 255 2048256 83 Linux
      > /dev/sdb2 256 7294 56540767+ 5 Extended
      > /dev/sdb5 256 510 2048256 82 Linux swap /
      > Solaris
      > /dev/sdb6 511 7294 54492448+ 83 Linux
      >
      > I mounted /dev/sdb1, extracted the debian tarball (provided on the
      > website linked above) onto it, and unmounted it. I hooked up my NSLU2
      > to my PC using a crossover cable, put the NSLU2 into upgrade mode, and
      > wrote the etch firmware to the NSLU2. When it rebooted, I attached the
      > external hard drive to the Disk 1 slot. The lights blink as it is
      > booting, and then it settles into two lights being active: ethernet
      > (green) and status (light amber). The status light remains amber for
      > as long as I can tell.
      >
      > About 10 seconds after the status light turns amber, the activity
      > light on the external hard drive blinks very briefly twice, then goes
      > back off. The "Disk 1" light never lights up on the NSLU2.
      >
      > I looked at the troubleshooting material on the web for hints. I tried
      > setting FSCKFIX=yes in /etc/default/rcS. This didn't affect anything.
      > I reattached the hard drive to my PC and looked at /var/log/boot. It
      > is empty.
      >
      > It looks to me as though the NSLU2 is not mounting the root partition.
      > Is there any reason this might happen? How can I troubleshoot this?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > RDM

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic