19650Re: [nslu2-linux] rtorrent how to

  • Mike (mwester)
    Aug 30, 2007
      > On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 01:03:18PM -0500, Mike (mwester) wrote:
      > > The "halt" command should be avoided on Unslung, as it is at best
      > > a controlled crash of the device. The Linksys "halt" command
      > > does not begin a shutdown sequence as it does on most normal
      > > Linux system.
      >
      > That is important information!
      >
      > I see that, at least on Unslung 5.5, /sbin/halt is merely a
      > soft link to busybox. Is there any reason not to re-define it as a
      > soft link to /usr/sbin/DO_Shutdown?

      Sadly, yes there's a reason it can't be changed. The shutdown sequence
      initiated by DO_Shutdown, the power button, and the GUI ends (after
      attempting an orderly shutdown) by invoking "halt" to do the final
      power-off. So changing it would result in an infinite loop, ultimately.

      (There was a small project at one time, called "Overslung", that tried to
      replace the startup/shutdown mechanism in Unslung with the more standard
      "init" mechanism. Ultimately, it started to break compatability, and it
      began to look more like SlugOS (aka OpenSlug) than Unslung, so there really
      wasn't any point. If a sane startup and shutdown is required, such as for
      UPS systems or for RAID disk handling, I'd recommend SlugOS for such users.)

      Mike (mwester)
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic