18931Re: Disappearing share

  • MTHEULE
    Jun 4, 2007
      I followed your first suggestion and now see the shares that I had
      originally and the new shares that I created.

      How do I determine whether or not both drives are now necessary?
      Will the new disk have some additional files / folders on it?

      Thanks for the quick and thorough response to my original question.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
      wrote:

      > I think you've fallen victim to the problem outlined here:
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/WhichUSBPortforUnslung6,
      second
      > paragraph after Rule #1 is described.
      >
      > There's no good, easy fix, I'm afraid. The only thing I can
      suggest is that
      > you reformat the new drive with a windows machine (basically,
      return it to a
      > single-partition FAT or NTFS volume). Plug it into the NSLU2 with
      the 20GB
      > drive, boot it up. You should see the shares and drives exactly
      as they
      > always have been. Now format the new drive. See if the share is
      still
      > present in the GUI. If so, do something to the configuration --
      add another
      > share, then delete it, or similar. There's a chance that doing so
      may cause
      > the unit to rewrite the existing data over the newly-formatted conf
      > partition that's hiding your original one.
      >
      > If that doesn't work, you can try to piece it together bit by
      bit. Boot up
      > with the original drive. Login in to the system, and use tar to
      copy the
      > contents of the conf partition (use the mount command to see where
      it's
      > mounted) to a safe place on /public. Now plug in the second
      drive. Use the
      > mount command again to see where the second drive is mounted, and
      use the
      > tar command to extract the contents of the tar file you wrote away
      on
      > /public and overwrite the incorrect data. Reboot. If this works,
      you're
      > all set -- just remember that you are now dependent on both drives
      for your
      > unit to run properly, if you remove either one, you'll be missing
      some vital
      > bit of information. Also, note that if you do the tar procedure I
      described
      > incorrectly, you may lose all your data on both drives -- use
      caution,
      > double-check what you're doing at each step, and back up any data
      you would
      > rather not lose.
      >
      > Mike (mwester)

      TwonkyMedia
      > could still serve up the files, so they were still there, but the
      > share was not visible.
      > I unplugged the new drive and rebooted the slug. When it came back
      > online with just the original drive, the share 'media' was visible.
      >
      > How do I keep the media share visible when I plug in the second
      drive?

      > Thanks

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic