18622Re: [nslu2-linux] flashing apex from redboot

    Apr 29, 2007
      Rob Lockhart wrote:
      > Hi, Gordon. Those wiki instructions (Debian/CompileApex) are very dated
      > indeed - referring to a very old version of Apex. The current version
      > is 1.4.18, and even the build instructions aren't complete. Since the
      > makefile specifies whether Apex is LE or BE, I am not even sure if the
      > endianness swapping (per the wiki) is even necessary anymore.

      You can compile Apex in an endian-aware way such that you don't need to
      do any swapping of the kernel.

      > Furthermore, there are a bunch of new stuff in the menuconfig (i.e.,
      > ping, DHCP, TFTP, enable IXP4xx ethernet, FAT/EXT2/JFFS filesystem,
      > etc.). Not sure if all of this works (since IXP4xx ethernet depends on
      > microcode) so I'm not sure if Apex has network support yet. But if so,
      > there would truly be no reason now to even consider RedBoot limitations.

      Marc is looking into ixp4xx ethernet support. He has read through the
      open source driver code, and says that there should be no impediment
      other than his available time.