17921Re: NSLU2, Netatalk and Shadow Passwords

  • bmambo2001
    Mar 1, 2007
      That did the trick! Turns out I had netatalk_2.0.3-1 installed, and I
      performed an "ipkg upgrade netatalk" to get to version 2.0.3-2, and
      this version indeed does not require shadow passwords. After some
      minor configuration edits, I now can access a shared drive via afp.
      Thank you for your help!

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

      > netatalk_2.0.3-2 should be compiled --without-shadow already.
      >
      > -Brian Zhou
      >
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bmambo2001" <bmambo2001@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bmambo2001" <bmambo2001@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm trying to get netatalk to work on my NSLU2 running Unslung
      6.8. I
      > > > have netatalk successfully installed and afpd running, and it almost
      > > > works, but I get the following in the log when attempting a
      > connect from
      > > > an OS/X client:
      > > >
      > > > <30>Feb 22 13:32:09 afpd[1039]: ASIP session:548(5) from
      > > > 192.168.0.5:52503(7)
      > > > <30>Feb 22 13:32:09 afpd[1037]: server_child[1] 1039 done
      > > > <30>Feb 22 13:32:22 afpd[1041]: ASIP session:548(5) from
      > > > 192.168.0.5:52504(7)
      > > > <30>Feb 22 13:32:22 afpd[1041]: cleartext login: office
      > > > <30>Feb 22 13:32:22 afpd[1041]: no shadow passwd entry for office
      > > >
      > > > The user "office" is successfully defined in /etc/passwd, and I can
      > > > successfully login with that id using telnet.
      > > >
      > > > So it looks to me like I don't have shadow passwords enabled on the
      > > > NSLU2. Well, this is a dumb question, but how do I turn them on? The
      > > > busybox doc seems to indicate that shadow is included, but I have no
      > > > /etc/shadow file. I can't figure it out! What do I need to
      install, or
      > > > how do i turn shadowing on?
      > > >
      > > > Alternatively, is there a way to tell netatalk NOT to use shadow
      > > > passwords? I went thru the config files and did not see anything
      > > > obvious.
      > > >

      > > I've done a bit more research, and learned that shadowing is enabled
      > > by the pwconv command. This command DOES NOT exist on UNSLUNG6.8,
      > > according the find / -name 'pwconv' -print
      > >
      > > shadow-utils does not seem to be a current ipkg, so it cannot be
      > > easily installed, unless someone has one handy.
      > >
      > > Netatalk does not have a run-time option to proceed w/o shadow
      > > passwords, unless it is recompiled with the --without-shadow option.
      > > It appears that the current ipkg WAS NOT compiled with that option.
      > >
      > > So it appears that I will have to either compile my own shadow-utils
      > > or netatalk, which will no doubt be a bit of work for me to set up. Or
      > > am I missing something? It is totally surprising to me that UNSLUNG
      > > doesn't already have shadowing enabled, since I would expect that many
      > > applications would assume shadowing is enabled.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic