17629Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: [nslu2-developers] Proposal: New Timezone package for OpenSlug

  • CN
    Feb 5, 2007
      On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:46:18 +1030, Rod Whitby wrote:

      > Mike (mwester) wrote:
      > > Proposed: the addition of a new timezone package, to be named "tzdata",
      for
      > > OpenSlug.
      >
      > We're going to work with upstream #oe folks to solve this in a common
      > way for all OE-derivative distributions. Target date is 1 March.
      >
      > One key thing is that the resulting item cannot be a 2MB single package.
      > You must be able to download a small localised timezone package for
      > your part of the world.
      >
      > -- Rod

      Thank you Rod for starting this effort to get the pkg smaller. I was also
      concerned about the size of a single pkg. Slug being a small system, it is
      desireable to provide the needed subset functions only whenever possible.
      Even with the current timezone pkgs, one needs to install, for example the
      Americas pkg just to get a single LosAngeles timezone. When I did this, I found
      the pkg was modular enough I could delete all the unwanted timezones easily,
      thereby reducing the total size of the Americas pkg of about 480kb to my
      needed single zone in 8 kb!

      Bloating has to be fought one byte at a time :)

      Cordially, Chacko
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic