16470Re: WD MyBook Essential Spin down

  • hallerharry73
    Dec 5, 2006
      Hi,

      there are two points to consider. Firstly the HD and its enclosure
      must be able to spin down and secondly the Kernel must also support
      it.
      I have a IB-351UE with Agere Chip that can be set to spin down mode
      with sdparm --command=stop /dev/sda on a machine running kernel
      2.6.x (SUSE 10.0). But if I connect it to the NSLU2 with Unslung 6.8
      and sdparm package 0.99-1 installed it refuses to spinn down. There
      is no error message when an sdparm command is issued, it is silently
      ignored. So I guess the Unslung Kernel (2.4.22) or the driver does
      not support it.

      Regards and 73
      HH

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "chandersawh" <chandersawh@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I know this topic has been covered a lot. Please forgive me.
      >
      > I have the 500GB version of this drive connected to port 2 on my
      > Unslung 6.8 beta. This is the drive I unsligned to.
      >
      > It will not spin down. I even tried moving the /dev /var the ramfs
      > with no success as suggested by
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks using the
      > rc.bootbin script.
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated.