14905Re: Problem following the EthernetAdapter instructions on the wiki

  • urgentdeath1999
    Aug 31, 2006
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Hans-Göran Puke" <hgpuke@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I am planning to use my Slug as a firewall/router and has bought a
      Netgear
      > FA-120 USB to Ethernet interface for this purpose, since it is
      listed on the
      > EthernetAdapter page on the wiki as a working unit.
      > However, when I try to follow the instructions, things do not turn
      out the
      > way they are supposed to. My guess is that it is because I run
      Unslung
      > 5.5and the instructions were written for a different version of
      > Unslung, is
      > this correct?
      > Anyway here is what happens, and I hope that someone on this list
      will be
      > able to tell me if I need to do something differently to get it to
      work or
      > not:
      >
      > A. Install the kernel-module:
      >
      > run ipkg install kernel-module-pegasus.
      >
      > OK. I ran "ipkg install kernel-module-usbnet instead as this was
      listed
      > as the correct driver for the Netgear FA-120. This went well.
      > B Hooking it all up
      >
      > 1. Hook up you USB Ethernet adapter to your slug
      > OK, did that.
      > 2. Go to /opt/lib/modules (Unslung) or /lib/modules (other
      > OSes<http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/OSes?action=edit>
      > ? <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/OSes?action=edit>)
      > First problem: There is no such directory!
      > 3. find pegasus.o or pegasus.ko in this directory; Do "insmod
      > pegasus.o" or "insmod pegasus.ko" (as appropriate)
      > Did "insmod usbnet" anyway.
      > Got "Using /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/drivers/usb/usbnet.o
      > insmod: unresolved symbol generic_mii_ioctl"
      > Why this error?
      > 4. Now the device eth1 should be created. Do "ifconfig -a" to
      verify
      > the presence of an inactive network adapter. (eth0 is the built-
      in network
      > controller)
      > Typed "ifconfig -a" and the following devices were listed:
      > ixp0, ixp1, lo. No eth0 or eth1. I am thinking that maybe
      ixp1 is
      > my newly configured device anyway, is it?
      > 5. Now you can do things like "ifconfig eth1 up 10.0.1.114" and
      so on
      > - it is an active Ethernet device.
      > OK, did "ifconfig ixp1 up 10.0.1.114" and then "ifconfig -a".
      ipx1
      > got an IP adress! Does this mean it is working?
      > 6. update your routing tables as you see fit
      > Have not gotten this far yet.
      > 7. Unslung: add a line in /opt/etc/modules : pegasus alias eth1
      > Problem again: there is no /opt/etc/modules file!
      > 8. SlugOS <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/HomePage>: add
      > line in /etc/modutils/modules (creating the file if needed:
      pegasus
      > alias eth1; then run update-modules
      >
      > Note: for debianslug and AX8817X based devices you might also need
      the
      > "asix" module.
      > OK, so I have this chipset, but not debianslug, so I don't need
      it? If I
      > need it, how do I find it? ("ipkg install asix" returns "nothing to
      be done,
      > check spelling" etc)
      > I hope that someone can help me with these questions.
      > Thanks.
      > --
      > Hans-Göran

      hi,

      1) wow!
      2) You could use the "find" to locate the files
      3) usbnet _could_ need some other modules loaded before (pegasus?)
      4)
      lo - loopback
      ixp0 - your normal nslu-networkadapter
      ixp1 - 2nd, internal networkadapter of the nslu, not usable

      I think you should install and load the drivers for youd adapter
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic