13316Re: What has to be changed on a fattened slug

  • kinsa
    Jun 1 7:31 AM
      > The existing bootloader (Redboot) can be used with memory sizes up to
      > 64M according to information in the Wiki. If this is true, it is very
      > good since it means that you can use the upgrade facility built in to
      > Redboot to load up a suitable flash image. It also means that you do
      > not have to replace the bootloader which is risky business.

      Tested on a 128MB slug. Not sure if it will work on a 64MB slug. You need to modify the kernel to make it work.

      > The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
      > defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
      > the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
      > line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
      > configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
      > However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
      > line I wanted built in.

      It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build directory. This is a hidden file.

      > I am getting dma_free_coherent(whatever that means...) Badness errors
      > on the disk drive. I suspect it is something to do with the dma
      > controller and the amount of memory. I plan to compile for 64M to see
      > if it goes away.

      This is a known issue on ARM using kernel versions >= 2.6.15.

      Kinsa
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic