11231Re: [nslu2-linux] How to create a filesystem?

  • Gerald L. Clark
    Feb 1, 2006
      Oliver Völker wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > I'm no linux crack and I'm not able to use my external harddisk...
      > Maybe I'm making a little stupid mistake...
      >
      > Ok...
      > I've attached my 160GB USB drive to the slug.
      > I've created an extended partiton:
      >
      > root@NLSU:/# fdisk /dev/sdb
      >
      > The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 19457.
      > There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
      > and could in certain setups cause problems with:
      > 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
      > 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
      > (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
      >
      > Command (m for help): p
      >
      > Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
      > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
      > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
      >
      > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      > /dev/sdb1 1 19457 156288321 5 Extended
      >
      > But I'm not able to create the filesystem:

      You can not make a filesystem on an extended partition.
      Extended partitions are created to hold partitions above partition 4.
      You don't say which operating system you are running on the NSLU2.
      Unslung requires partitions 1 2 and 3 as described in the Wiki.
      > root@NLSU:/# mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
      > mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
      > /dev/sdb1: Invalid argument passed to ext2 library while setting up
      > superblock
      >

      > Where's my error?
      >

      > Sorry for this dummy question :(
      >

      > Bye,